Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 10 of Unit..it's all over

I have finished my unit! It is over! what an awesome feeling to know that I made it through my first 10 days teaching! It was such a great moment because this lesson showed me that my students have understood everything we have talked about it. From the beginning, I don't think my co-op thought my students would like/do well on this Found Poetry idea I had. Especially when I mentioned bringing in craft supplies for them to use. His face was funny when he saw all the glitter I brought because he hates messes, and lets just be honest, glitter makes a mess no matter how you try.

I let the boys pick their own partners except for 2. In first period 2 of my students didn't bring their quotes in (which is the basis of the entire project). They said they forgot. I didn't think it was fair to just let them go w/ another student who did his quotes and use them so I put those 2 together and they had to get quotes all over again. I then put on 1940's music ( to tie into the setting of the novel). At first I heard a lot of groans about it but by the end they were tapping their feet and even said that they worked well with that music in the background. I have to admit I was blown away by their poems. When they all finished they had to present them to the class and say what theme/character/idea they wrote about and why that it's important. They were SO deep. They totally understood all the themes we have talked about and have made some of the coolest poems. All of them were great! They used theme's like: war, snow/the dawn (symbolic for re-birth), Finny, and the fall. It was just so impressive. I was so so worried that they were getting the plot facts fine but not the deeper meaning, but these poems have proved that they get it.

At the end I collected their poems and told them that I would have their grades Wednesday when I come back in. They were like, wait you're not coming every day still? I explained to them how my unit works again and explained when I'd be coming back. They were bummed I wasn't going to be there every day and asked when i start teaching fully time. It made me fell really great. My 2nd period even said "let's give Miss Rahl" a round of applause. I feel like I have made a great impression these 13 boys. It's been the best experience and I can't wait to teach full time next semester!

No comments:

Post a Comment