Friday, November 6, 2009

Day 4 of Unit

Today was pointless and made me kind of angry. Last week I asked my teacher if there were any field trips during my unit and he said no. However, the science teacher did not tell either of us that most of the boys (all but 5) would be gone for the day for this Ambassador event. So basically we combined 1st and 2nd period, had 5 boys total. THere was NO way I could start chapter 3 without the rest of my class. So I decided to give them the time to work on the projects I have assigned. I turned a negative thing into a positive. I was able to sit and work with each student, answer questions and we still were able to have some kind of discussion about the novel. I still felt like I accomplished something with them even though it wasn't quite what I expected.

The only thing that I am not sure about is how I stand in the classroom in regards to my co-op. He doesn't say much. At first, he told me I would be using his password and entering grades in the Progressbook. But all week he has just been like "give them to me and I'll enter them when I do the rest of the other classes grades." I told him, "no I don't mind," but he keeps say it's no problem. Well yah, it might be when I don't know how to use Progressbook next semester. I feel he doesn't want to let go of the classroom, and obviously I understand. He's worked with these students and it's his classroom. I just don't know where the balance will be. I want the students to see me as their teacher but I am just worried that they will only see me as Miss Rahl, the student from Kent State.

Hopefully next week will go well. I have changed my lessons a little bit to fit the students and their needs based on the conversations we have had in class. Fingers crossed!

1 comment:

  1. I understand where you are coming from wanting your students to see you as their teacher and not some person from Kent State. As of right now that is how I feel with my students, but I blame that on the stupid sub for my teacher. Hopefully your teacher will ease up and stop being a control freak.

    ReplyDelete