Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 6 of Unit

Today felt great! Dr. Kist came to observe my lesson and I must admit I was very nervous! My nerves didn't go away at first because 2 of my students ( who come from Hudson) were running very late. So it was this awkward wait time with 4 students. I didn't want to start too much. I waited a little bit then did a skit with the kids there because I didn't want to waste my students time or my professor. The skit went well and they seemed to get why we were doing it. My other 2 students finally showed up and I was able to start their quiz. Now, my co-op likes to do 10 questions, short answer, pretty straight forward. I played by his rules for a while, but today I decided to do things a little different. I gave them a prompt to write on. Then after they wrote on it, they had to pass it to another student and that student had to comment on their writing. I will grade both of their writings. I hoped this will not only give me a chance to see how they write but give them the practice they need not only in writing but in responding to others. We had an EXCELLENT group discussion afterwards. All but one student was engaged and putting forth information. They really read and knew details. I was very pleased by how well it went.

2nd period wasn't as smooth because we had a practice lock down then ended up going for 45 MINUTES (of my hour class). They had the kanine unit in the halls sniffing lockers. From what we could hear (in our locked classroom), they were taking classes into the hallway and the dogs were sniffing the students. It was crazy hearing all the dogs barking. When I left in the morning, the kanine unit was sniffing the student cars in the parking lot. I am sure I will hear ALL about details tomorrow but I have to admit it was frustrating because I had to do a condensed lesson for 2nd period. I ended up giving them a worksheet to do as homework instead of us doing it together in class. I guess that is just what you have to do as a teacher.

Tomorrow my supervisor comes to visit. I am a little nervous because he is coming during 2nd period and they are really hit or miss. Today they were ok but yesterday they all were zoning out. They CLEARLY tell me that they don't like the book and they think it is stupid. So I just hope that I can get them to work well tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment