Sunday, December 6, 2009

After the grading is over and the projects have been returned...

I have finished all my grading for my students lengthy letter project. I have to say I was quite impressed. Throughout the unit I complained that I didn't think my students cared or at least they didn't show it. But reading over all their projects and seeing the creativity and thought they put into it blew me away. They really got the concept of theme/character development! They all took a different approach to the letter project but all were able to grasp the general goal of the project: to show me in the 14 letters the character development (of the character of their choice) as well as the themes that come into play in that characters life. I was concerned that maybe they didn't have the strongest grasp on theme but this showed me that they did. Over all my students did very well. Between 2 periods I had 8 A's, 4 B's, and 2 C's, which I think is excellent not only for them but for me. My cooperating teacher likes to see lower grades because he knows it is hard but I feel differently. I like to see higher grades because I think my students are understanding and doing what they need to do. I don't want to make things impossibly hard (like he does) because what is that doing for the students? If anything it is discouraging them from enjoying English class.

My goal for next semester is to really let these students have their own voice. I want them to enjoy my class; I want them to enjoy the reading and writing will be doing. I hope to do more projects and activities and I hope their grades remain as high as they are now.

I'm looking forward to January 25. I'm nervous, but excited! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment