Thursday, November 12, 2009

In class demo workshops and writing workshops

I have to say, at first I thought this whole demo workshop/writing workshop was going to be the most boring thing ever. I couldn't imagine reading 2 15 page stories every week and seeing demo lessons. But it has been such a COOL experience. Everyone's stories have been so unique and intersting. I feel I can hear each voice telling the story to me. I have been inspired, amused, saddened, excited, and have laughed out loud to all these different stories. I think this is the ultimate demo lesson. It has shown me that writing workshops are really effective tools to use in the classroom. Not only does it give the author the chance to try out their piece on others but it gives the class the chance to practice their constructive criticism. With the one prompt in my classroom, I had my students critique each others. I see we are going to have to work on this next semster. They just like to say " I agree with everything you are saying! Good work!" I explained that it is good to say you like it, but what is truly helpful is the idea of giving the author something to work on. I liked that in our class we started doing 1 positive and 1 constructive criticism. I think it is very helpful and will make us all stronger writers!

The demo lessons have really given me some good ideas. I have been keeping ideas in a notebook so that when I need to teach a lesson and am having a brain fart as to how to present the topic, I can just look through my notebook and be like "Oh yah Stephanie did a really good demo on writing a play.." (which I might be putting in Wiki, thanks Steph!). I think this has just been quite the helpful experience.

On another note, I am trying to figure out how to work these things. Not having multi-modal I feel really has given me an unfair advantage with these. I feel the rest of the class has fun and exciting blogs but I haven't quite figured out how to do that. I swear, I'm getting there! Patience is a virtue!

1 comment:

  1. I love the demos and workshops too! I have so many great ideas for when I begin teaching next semseter. Plus, all the stories have been amazing! It is so great that our classmates are willing to share so much with us.

    ReplyDelete