Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Day 2 of Unit

So today went much better than day 1. Today I gave the students their first quiz. My co-op teacher really wanted me to stress the importance of them reading every day so he said he wanted me to give them a quiz on every chapter. So this morning I gave them the chapter 1 quiz. I could tell many of my first period students didn't read because even the easiest questions they missed. Their scores were like 4.5/10 or even 3/10. First period didn't really get involved with my discussion questions, only 2 students. I tried to motivate the other students and tried to keep it up beat but they just were out of it. I did have a moment where I felt dumb. I was going over a very important quote with period 1 and the one part of the line is in french and I said I'm not sure what this means I don't take French. My co-op then asked to interupt, translated it and explained why that translation was important. I can honestly say known of my teachers ever went over that quote with me in HS and no site online that I looked at talked about that french translation so I kinda felt dumb.

Second period went much better. I could tell the students really did read, most of their scores were 7 or 8.5/10. They had much better discussions and asked a lot of questions which I enjoyed. They are very inquisitive and want to know what happens. I keep saying you have to wait and see but I know they want to know. They truly are a great group of students and made me feel much more relaxed teaching.

No feedback yet from my co-op teacher. I told him I thought I did better and all he said was it went beautifully. He is getting sick so I know this is a rough week for him but I wish he could give me some advice. I think tomorrow I will ask him what his thoughts were on my lesson.

Tomorrow we will discuss chapter 2. I have a fun activity with food for them to do so hopefully they enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment