Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Praxis II has no right to say who will make a good teacher...

So, I took a day to process my experience with the Praxis II, and I have decided that I hated it. First off, I hate standardized testing. I hate it with a passion. Especially when it's something that I had to a.) pay $220 for, b.) makes or breaks me from getting a teacher license and c.) something that either you know or you don't (it's quite hard to study for).

How can ETS and the Department of Education say that these tests show if someone can teach. These tests show that you can take a test! Ridiculous! When I am in my classroom, I know I can teach, but this test honestly made me feel like I knew nothing and I have wasted 5 years at Kent State. I took practice tests and passed them but when I got to the real thing I felt like it was all ridiculous! There were authors, and poems, and ideas that I haven't heard of. There were questions that I felt were very opinionated. What if my opinion on the summary of an essay is different than the person next to me? Does that make me wrong? What is that showing my students?

Another thing that annoyed me were the people from the other content areas. I sat next to this woman who was probably in her late 40's for the PLT section. First off, she was mad that I was at the same table as her. She kept saying, "this is ridiculous. Why are we all so cramped up in this room? I want my own table." I looked at her and said, "I don't bite," and smiled. She didn't find me funny. Darn. So then she is complaining about her math content section that she didn't finish. She asked me if I finished my content section, and I said yes. She GLARED at me and said "well that's because language arts content is WAY easier than math. All you have to do is read a book." I was trying to compose myself and not get kicked out (again, paid a lot of money to be here) and just said, "it's a whole heck of a lot more than just reading." And she LAUGHED at me. I just stared at her. The whole time I found myself becoming more and more congested. My eyes were getting itchy, my throat scratchy, my nose was running, and began sneezing. I felt like there was a cat sitting on my lap (I am ridiculously allergic to cats). What do I find out? Crazy math lady is ALSO a crazy cat lady! GO FIGURE! She said she couldn't wait to get home to get to her cats. I looked at her and it all clicked why I felt like death. I said how many do you have and she said thirteen!!! THIRTEEN! And she went on to say how they sleep with her and they are like her kids. THIRTEEN!!!!!!! So I felt like the thirteen cats were on my lap as they handed out the tests. The woman still was complaining about me being at her table. I told her to ask the proctor before we started if she could move and the lady was like no they won't let me. SO WHAT DOES SHE DO? The test starts and she raises her hand and says and I QUOTE, " "excuse me, this is unacceptable. This GIRL next to me keeps sniffling, cough and sneezing and it is VERY distracting." At the moment my mouth dropped and I just looked at the proctor who was as shocked as I was. The woman said, " I need to move or she needs to leave." I NEED TO LEAVE!! You crazy cat lady! The proctor looked at me and mouthed "I'm sorry!" and let the lady move to the back of the room. I really wanted to just sneeze on her and her dumb cats.

After the test I was just pissed off. Between the cat lady and the 4 hours of testing I was over it all. Lets see what happens in 4 weeks!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about my first Praxis experience. I only took the PLT. I wanted to curl up into a ball and cry when all was said and done. I feel like I paid 220 bucks for failure. I don't understand how a test can say, "Why yes Stephanie you contain enough knowledge...Welcome to the teaching world." Standardized tests suck. Hopefully in four weeks we will both be happy. Sadly, I still have to take the content knowledge.

    Your experience sounds a little more interesting than mine. I did get into an argument with a fellow tester, only to back the proctor up. People were having mental break downs because their precious cell phone weren't allowed in the testing room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the cell phone rule. That really put people over the edge! The one girl was like "no, I can't take it to my car. I can't." It made me laugh... a lot.

    Basically the Praxis ruined my weekend and my views on testing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you that a good preparation can help you to crack Praxis II test. But I also not forget, joining personnel preparation center which prepare you for the test. Some of my friends took the coaching for preparation and aced the exam, I will never forget the happiness was surrounding on their faces when the aced Praxis II text. So, keep going and prepare well I know you can do it because you are made to this. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
    Praxis II test

    ReplyDelete