Thursday, November 5, 2009

Day 3 of Unit

Today was a great day in the classroom! I feel like I am becoming more comfortable in my role as teacher. The students are becoming more comfortable with me; their personalities are really starting to show more. These 2 periods are very sarcastic and funny and the first 2 days I feel they weren't sure how to react to me as the teacher. But now they see that I am open to talking and having good time, but all the while stressing the importance of respect.



Today we did chapter 2. In the novel, the boys go to a tea with their headmaster so I brought in juice and donuts to go along with that. The students LOVED it. They thought it was a really cool idea to tie the book into real life. My co-op never does these kinds of things with them. We had another reading quiz and they did SO much better. I could tell they all read the chapter because they really had questions and comments to make on the chapter. They were interested of why things happened and how it will change the rest of the story. We talked a lot about themes today and they really liked being able to find ones that could possibly work throughout the novel.

During 2nd period, there was a fight in the hall way that my co-op teacher had to go deal with. My 2nd period class wanted to see what was going on. It was very difficult to get them to focus on the novel and not the fight right outside our door. They kept saying that "A Separate Peace" was way more boring than the fight in the hall. They liked seeing their teacher get involved and handle it. I kept having to bring them back to task which was very difficult. It kind of killed the momentum of the class, but I was able to bring it back. The end of class they had about 10 minutes left so I let them work on projects I have assigned and let them ask questions. They were awesome; they stayed on task and worked up until the end of the period bringing things up for me to look over.

So far, things are going so well! They are really doing a great job with the novel. They hope it gets more exciting because right now they are bored with it, but I think as it progresses they will like it more!

No comments:

Post a Comment