Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Day 7 of Unit

With the comments I received yesterday from my professor, I went into my class with a new perspective. I was excited for my supervisor to come watch me because I felt very confidant about my lesson and I was excited to see how my supervisor felt. Today, instead of a normal reading quiz I did the snowball game BUT with a cool twist. Instead of snowballs, we made basic paper airplanes, since these guys are aviation students. They LOVED it! They said writing to a prompt and responding not only made them understand the chapter more but it was a lot of fun to just lighten up and make paper airplanes. I was so glad to see their reactions and it put us on a great path for awesome discussion.

First period, I had one student fall asleep. We have been having problems with him staying awake. First I did the walk by him technique; that didn't help. So finally I just tapped my pen on the corner of his desk and just asked him quietly to wake up. He did, for a while. So then I start to call on him more and more. He admitted he didn't read. After class my co-op and I talked to him about why he is falling asleep all the time and he said he is up late playing video games. We talked to him about trying to get to bed earlier because he isn't doing well on his reading quizzes and having one every day for 14 chapters is 140 points, basically what their unit exam is going to be. He said he'd try harder. So I'm going to work on my lesson for the last 2 days to make them more interactive so he is awake more.

My supervisor said that I had a very strong lesson today and that I presented the information well and the students seem to respond well to me. It was nice learning yesterday things I should work on because it helped me feel stronger today as a teacher! I only have 3 more days left- 2 days of discussing chapters and the final day is our Found Poem project day! The students will partner up and work on making poems from their quotes! I'm looking forward to helping them and working with them to make an awesome poem (which I would like to hang up if my co-op lets me).

No comments:

Post a Comment