Thursday, December 10, 2009

Books that I think every student should read




For my Human Sexuality class I had to read two novels and write a response. While other students freaked out about reading 2 books and responding I thought it was a piece of cake. I was excited to get to read "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson and "Inexcusable" by Chris Lynch. Both books deal with the topic of rape in adolescent students, but from different perspectives. "Speak" talks about a girl who was raped and then depression and pain she goes through when she loses friends and support until the end. "Inexcusable" talks about a boy who rapes a girl but doesn't think he did because he loved her. Both novels are very compelling and give an insight to rape that we don't get to see.



I think if schools allowed their students to read books like this in the classroom it would do so much for students. It would educate them on sexual assault and teach them how to protect themselves from it or how to handle it if it happens to you. Rape is the most under reported crime in the US; imagine how many students have been raped but have been too ashamed or embarrassed to say anything? What if educators were more open to discussing topics through novels, such as these two? Wouldn't that help those that maybe have been too afraid to get help? It breaks my hear to think that I might have students like Melinda in "Speak" that are shutting themselves out from the world because they feel they did something to deserve the rape.



Through my RA training, I have learned to handle crisis situations, including rape. I feel more teachers should be trained in the proper protocol on how to handle a rape situation; who to call, where to send students, counselors, etc.






I suggest anyone working with adolescence read "Speak" and "Inexcusable." Both books are very moving and really will motivate you to learn more about sexual assault and how you can help your students.




here is a link to the youtube video for the movie "Speak." It was a Lifetime movie, but still very good.

3 comments:

  1. "Speak" is a very good book! I read in my Teaching Reading class last fall. I think that more books like this should be taught. I agree with you about these books opening up a new line of communication. I think the topics presented in the books could generate some thought-provoking conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read "Speak" in 24 hours. My co-op read chapter one to our class one day and I was hooked. I went to the library and well the rest is history. "Speak" is a great book and I think all young adults should read it. I agree with Matt that it can really generate thought-provoking conversation. Two thumbs up for "Speak"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read "Speak", but other students performed it as a speech at Speech and Debate Tournaments, so I have a general idea of what it is about. (I was a Speech and Debate Competitor when I was in high school). I'm interested to read it, though, and think it would be a great piece of Adolescent Literature to add to the English classroom. If I'm not mistaken, I think that Ravenna High School allows its students to read speak because I saw it in the bookroom, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete