Sunday, October 18, 2009

Hungry Minds in the real world

I feel very fortunate that I am able to volunteer my time at the Salvation Army of Summit County. This past weekend we went and I got to witness something very similar to the writing workshop of Chelsea in the article "Hungry Minds." When I got to the center in Akron, I saw a conference room with a group of elementary school students in 2 local HS students. I sat in the lobby listening and watching and realized they were doing a version of a writing workshop. They were working on a poetry project the students had in school. The HS students had the younger students read their poem allowed and every student had to say 1 thing they did well. The HS students then gave them a "helpful critique" and they moved on.
The students were engaged and seemed to be enjoying their time. I spoke to one of the workers at the center and they said this was their homework help time. These HS students really saw a need for writing help and decided to set up this time to help these young students improve their writing skills.
These students don't have alot. Many, I was told, have been homeless or are currently homeless. Yet they still are doing their homework. They come in and out of the center with their family, constantly needing a warm place to rest and a nice warm meal. How are these poor students suppose to focus on writing when their poor little worlds are so much more difficult?

I think the writing workshop for them, like the people of Chelsea, is an awesome idea. I am interested in maybe reaching out and helping start a program with them (if I can find some spare Saturdays) that allows students to write about their lives and then bring it to our workshop. I was very inspired by the work the center did in Chelsea and I think we as future teachers owe that to our community to do the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment