Sunday, September 20, 2009

You can make a difference---Freedom Writers

Friday in class we had the opportunity to hear from a KSU alum who has made a difference in the lives of students who many have given up on. Ms. Pyle, a member of the Freedom Writer's, worked at the JDC, inspiring students and letting them know that there are adults in the world that believe in them. She read some excerpts from their book and give in sight to her classroom and how her students changed her. She allowed her students the chance to journal their feelings without worry that the guards or administrators would see what they wrote. One of her students wrote about the abuse he saw at home. His parents didn't want him, and when his grandparents got him they didn't want him. He was torn down constantly. Finally he got a puppy, something that showed him love unconditionally. But one day when his grandfather was yelling at his grandmother, the puppy got scared and had an accident in the house. The grandfather made the boy take his puppy outside; the boy knew he was about to lose his best friend. The grandfather made the boy watch as he shot his puppy. It is no wonder that this student never trusted adults when all his life adults failed him. That story just broke my heart.
I feel Ms. Pyles story of giving these students a chance to free their feelings through journaling, through class discussion, is something I want to do in my classroom. I have wanted to teach in an inner-city class and be able to do things like the Freedom Writers do. I want to inspire students, make a difference and teach them to write out their feelings instead of using violence.
One other thing I learned is how boring it is to read for an hour straight to students. I doubt Ms. Pyles did this to her students in the JDC; I am sure she had great teaching methods with them, however she was making some of us sleepy. It was early morning and just hearing her read was not helping the cause. I think maybe had she opened it up for more discussion, or did stuff to get us moving, while occasionally reading excerpts from her book, it would have been more rewarding for all.
Over all, this experience to hear from a Freedom Writer was an awesome opportunity that I think more teachers need to do. I would love to someday be a part of their organization .

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Pyles was such a good speaker! It's so nice to see a teacher care so deeply for her students! I would also like to someday participate in this organization. It seems like such a great opportunity to get kids writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Her stories definitely intrigued me as well! The one about the boy whose grandfather shot his dog was incredibly sad! I could not believe what her students went through in their home lives.

    ReplyDelete